Tuesday, June 11, 2019

SAIL this summer




This summer, I'm going to SAIL the ocean of compassion and storytelling by launching a blogging project. I plan to showcase the thoughts of other authors on the topic of Spirituality, philosophy And religion In Literature for young people. And if you're wondering what my thoughts are on this topic, see my previous posts on this blog (my essay ALL THE UNSEEN and my poem WORDS, WHITE SPACE AND SPIRITUALITY) or the article I was honored to be invited to write for Kirkus Reviews (Accept, Don't Tolerate)

This spring, I approached my colleagues in a haphazard way (as a scientist I have to admit there was no systematic random sampling). I asked many - whoever I happened to meet - if they were interested in contributing to this project. I also sent out a call for submissions (any length, any form - poetry, story, essay) on the topic of Spirituality/philosophy And religion In Literature for young people. 

Why? Because today, I see religious intolerance and hatred all over the world. Maybe it's always existed and I was just oblivious to it. Then again, I'm convinced that religious tolerance has also always existed. I'm convinced that one way to move toward peace is through mutual understanding. Mutual understanding cannot come about when we ignore or hide our feelings and ideas, and so I seek to have a safe space for us to speak out and share our views on religion (or the lack thereof) in our own lives, and issues related to our personal philosophies (agnosticism and atheism included). 

I encouraged authors to share their personal takes on this important topic in some way, or reflect on current trends or review books that contained substantial content on this topic. I explained that all I wanted was to encourage authors who write for young readers to reflect on this aspect of diversity in a manner that is open, egalitarian and all-embracing. I promised to include any and all contributions I received so long as they stood by principles of tolerance and mutual respect. 

I received a wonderful list of contributions by many brilliant (listed below) authors, and I'll be publishing them on this blog in the weeks to come. Feel free to share the posts if you enjoy them, but note that given the sensitive nature of this topic and the fact that my colleagues have so courageously agreed to discuss something that is so deeply personal, I have turned off comments. No internet platform is ever safe but I really hope that this summer we can merely listen and think rather than react and respond; and that if we do feel compelled to respond, we do so quietly and calmly and in a manner that supports and doesn't destroy (I've always held that if one would feel comfortable standing on a stage and addressing the entire world audience about a topic, it's okay to write about it on the internet; if you'd hesitate, then maybe you shouldn't). 

Whenever, as an oceanographer, I planned a scientific cruise, I was always a little afraid of what would happen. As I launch this project, I am afraid. But just as when I was an oceanographer, I also feel excited and hopeful. I hope most deeply, that like my characters Viji and Arul in THE BRIDGE HOME, the readers of these posts will discover that although they may differ widely in their views, they can still form deep bonds of respect, admiration and friendship.


If you'd like to contribute a piece for next summer (yes, I plan to SAIL every summer), please contact me via social media (twitter at padmatv; fb venkatraman dot padma) or use the contact form on my website www.padmavenkatraman.com 

If you'd like to connect with me for the #globalreadaloud project or find teacher resources for THE BRIDGE HOME, please visit the author website and follow my blog posts there. I will be posting updates on my plans to answer student questions, weekly videos, giveaways and contests associated with #GRA19 #GRABridge on
This summer, I hope you'll enjoying SAILing with 

Linda Boyden the week of June 9th (Consecration)


Pat Lowery Collins the week of June 16th (The Journey Behind the Words)


Jacqueline Davies the week of June 23rd (Of Bookstores and Crabapple Trees: Places Where I've Contemplated God)


Margarita Engle the week of July 14th (Excerpt from an interview I conducted)


Nancy Bo Flood the week of July 21st (Prayer)

Leah Henderson the week of July 28th (The Unconscious Power of Faith)

Veera Hiranandani the week of August 4th (What are you?)

Abbey Nash the week of August 11th (God in a Carton of Eggs)

Kelly Mullen McWilliams the week of August 18th

Rachna Gilmore (reblogging her answer from a WNDB roundtable I conducted ages ago) August 25th

Ruksana Khan, Mitali Perkins and Uma Krishnaswami (reblogging answers from the WNDB roundtable I hope; I am still waiting on permission).